What is dry eye syndrome and how to avoid it?
Dry Eye syndrome
Dry eye occurs when the eye does not produce tears properly, or when the tears evaporate too quickly.
It is also called as KERATOCONJUNCTIVITIS.
If left untreated, this condition can lead to pain, ulcers, or scars on the cornea, and some loss of vision. But, permanent loss of vision from dry eye syndrome is uncommon.
Types of dry eye syndrome:-
1) the lacrimal glands fail to produce enough of tears to maintain a healthy eye surface.
2) Evaporative dry eye result from inflammation of the meibomian glands, located in the eyelids. These glands make the lipid or oily part of tears that slows evaporation and keeps the tears stable.
Dry eye can be associated with:-
• inflammation of the surface of the eye, the lacrimal gland, or the conjunctiva;
• an increase in the surface of the eye, as in thyroid disease when the eye protrudes forward.
Tears,produced in the lacrimal gland, are necessary for overall eye health and clear vision. Tears bathe the surface of the eye, keeping it moist, and wash away dust and debris. They also help protect the eye from any types of infections.
When the lacrimal glands fail to produce sufficient tears, dry eye can result.Any disease process that alters the components of tears can make them unhealthy and result in dry eye.
Dry eye symptoms may include any of the following:
• burning of the eye;
• a sandy feeling as if something is in the eye;
• episodes of excess tears following very dry eye periods;
• a stringy discharge from the eye;
• pain and redness of the eye;
• occasionally blurred vision;
• heaviness of eyelids;
• when emotionally stressed, unable to cry
• cannot wear contact lenses;
• unable to read, working on the computer becomes very difficult
• eye fatigue
causes of dry eye syndrome:-
Dry eye can be a temporary or chronic condition:
Dry eye can be a side effect of some medications,
Skin disease on or around the eyelids
Diseases of the glands in the eyelids
Women on hormonal therapy
chemical and thermal burns that scar the membrane lining the eyelids and covering the eye.
Both excessive and insufficient dosages of vitamins
in thyroid disease
exposure keratitis means eyelids do not close completely during sleep.
Dry eye can occur at any age, Women with early menopause and old age people are more prone to dry eye.
Depending on the causes of dry eye , treatment varies from simple eyedrops to minor Surgical treatment .